Online Counseling • eCounseling | CT • FL • NY • VT
Video & Phone Counseling during the Covid19 crisis & beyond
What is Online Counseling?
Online counseling has many different names. Similarly, it can be called ecounseling, video counseling or telemental health. Online counseling lets you to log into a website that is HIPAA compliant and encrypted to have a face to face counseling session. Your session is with a licensed professional counselor.
Can I benefit from online counseling?
Online counseling/telehealth is for adults who are coping with life’s challenges. For example, anxiety, college related issues, or decision making. Further, we help people with depression (mild), health anxiety, and life transitions. In addition, perfectionism, poor body image and self-esteem. Lastly, we help those with teacher-life stressors, work stressors and more.
Residents and Visitors of the following states can be seen for telehealth counseling:
- New York
- Indiana- temporarily during the pandemic
- Pennsylvania -temporarily during the pandemic
- Massachusetts – licensed until pandemic is over
- Tennessee -temporarily during the pandemic
- New Jersey – temporarily during the pandemic
- Vermont – until 2022 and may be extended
Online Counseling, Telemental Health and eCounseling may be helpful for:
- Busy Professionals (those who travel within the state and those who do not).
- College Students.
- People Living in Rural or Remote Areas.
- People who cannot travel (disability, medical recovery, no transportation).
- Consulting with a therapist who has a specific speciality.
- Those who are concerned about being seen going to a counseling office.
- People who need our expertise and cannot find a therapist in their area.
Counseling sessions are with Lisa Taylor-Austin, NCC, LPC, LMHC, CFMHE, CFBA. First, Lisa is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Connecticut, a Licensed Mental Health Counselor Out-of-State Telehealth Provider in Florida and a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in New York. Second, she is also a Board Certified National Certified Counselor. Further, Lisa is a Board Certified Forensic Mental Health Evaluator and Board Certified Forensic Behavioral Analyst. Lisa has been a counselor since 1988. She brings wisdom and experience to the counseling session. Lisa is certified in online counseling or telemental health by the Zur Institute and for the state of Florida.
Online counseling sessions are held on an encrypted platform such as Doxy.me, ClockTree, TherapyPortal, etc. These are HIPAA compliant, encrypted and secure web platforms. These platforms can be used on a computer, smart phone, tablet or other device. All you need is a camera, microphone, and internet connection. Of importance, Skype, Messenger video and other social media and are not HIPAA complaint and will never be used in counseling sessions.
Can I use Online Counseling?
Online counseling can be a great fit for the right client. To use online counseling with us, we ask that you be:
- A resident of the state of Connecticut, Florida or New York (or one of the temporary locations above).
- 18 years of age or older.
- Have a valid driver’s license or photo ID.
- Access to a device, wifi, headphones, microphone.
- Internet experienced so that the technology will not cause frustration.
- Location to sit for counseling sessions that is quiet, private and secure.
Online Counseling is not for everyone. It is a treatment modality that is evaluated for each individual client. The client’s diagnosis, level of functioning, treatment goals and comfort level with using a video-based platform are all considered. Online Counseling services can be ended when a client needs face to face counseling sessions to better help them. In summary, if we find that online counseling is not the most helpful for you, we will refer you to therapists in your area. You may then contact them directly to make an appointment.
Payment and Insurance
Currently in-network with Connecticut insurance: Aetna, Anthem, Beacon, Cigna, Husky, Magellan, United/Optum (Connecticare, United Health Care), Yale Health insurance. We also accept private pay/out of network. You may pay for your session directly using our HIPAA compliant credit card service. This ensures you the most confidentiality. You may also use a HSA card. Many private insurance companies are paying for online counseling or telemental health. You may also give them a call. If you are a resident outside the state of Connecticut we may still be in your insurance plan. Ask us how to find out. If not, we can give you a superbill to send into your insurance company for possible reimbursement. Contact us for more information.
How do I start online counseling?
Email us or call us for more information. Once your paperwork is completed you will access our waiting room below.
Florida residents may find us on https://flhealthsource.gov/telehealth/